RunBalmoral announces new initiatives as 2015 entries open - 30 September 2014
Details of an exciting new race, new sponsors and a fantastic new sports bursary were all announced by the organisers of RunBalmoral when entries for the 2015 races opened today.
The 18th edition of popular festival of running held within the beautiful grounds of the Queen’s summer residenc at Balmoral Castle will take place over the weekend of 25th-26th April 2015 when more than 5,000 participants and almost as many spectators are expected to flock to Deeside.
As usual, experienced international athletes and first time fun runners will rub shoulders in the programme of eight races, which cater for all age groups, to be held over traffic-free courses offering magnificent views of the castle and the spectacular surrounding countryside.
It’s a successful and popular format but RunBalmoral Chairman James Knowles was delighted to announce an exciting number of new initiatives which will further enhance the event in 2015.
He said: “RunBalmoral is always a superb weekend and this year we are looking forward to it being even more varied and interesting. The action will get underway on the Saturday with the MPH Primary Schools 1.5Km, with separate races for girls and boys. That’s followed by the Kongsberg Maritime secondary schools 2.5Km. Adults then get their chance to shine in the ConocoPhillips 5Km and the Stena Drilling Tartan 10Km. The 5Km and 10Km incorporate the Stena Drilling-ConocoPhilips Corporate Challenge in which teams battle for the distinctive antler and elm trophy.
Then, on the Sunday, we welcome Apollo Offshore Engineering and Glacier Energy Services Ltd to the Balmoral family of sponsors. Apollo will be backing a thrilling new duathlon in which competitors will test their running and mountain biking skills over a 30Km course. It starts with a 5Km run, then its 20Km on the bike before finishing off with another 5Km run. Glacier Energy will sponsor our 15 mile trail race held over a stunning course which takes in some of the most scenic parts of the estate.
The Sunday programme is completed by the Wee trail race held over a three mile course designed very much for beginners and younger athletes.
The new sponsors will link up perfectly with our long standing backers, Stena Drilling, ConocoPhillips, Kongsberg Maritime and MPH Ltd. We are also delighted to once again be working in partnership with Aberdeenshire Council and, of course, Balmoral Estate. Local community organisations and charities also contribute to making the whole occasion something special.
We are very fortunate to have magnificent support from all of these companies and organisations who are genuinely interested in working with us to put on a successful event. Most of the sponsors have been with us for many years and they not only provide financial backing, they also encourage their employees to take part in big numbers, which they do. Without this loyal support, RunBalmoral could not happen.
Once again we will be involved with a number of nominated charities which for 2015 will be Gastrocan, VSA, Clan, Clic Sargent, Archie Foundation, Macmillan Cancer Support and the Alfie Milne Trust. We do encourage runners to get involved in sponsoring a charity. Such support raises a phenomenal amount of money locally. The charities have without doubt added a real vibrancy to the RunBalmoral event.
Knowles also highlighted a new RunBalmoral project which he is particularly enthusiastic about.
He said: “We are keen to look at new ways of supporting local community groups and this year we will be introducing a sports bursary award. Local schools and other youth or community organisations will be invited to bid for the award, full details of which will be announced in due course. This is a completely new project and is one I am looking forward to being involved with.
Finally, I’d like to advise runners to enter as soon as possible. Many of the races sold out well before the official closing date last year, so anyone thinking about taking part is encouraged to sign up as quickly as possible.” Full entry details and further information can be found at www.runbalmoral.com
RunBalmoral 2015 takes place on Saturday 25th and Sunday 26th April 2015.
The programme of races is as follows:-
Saturday 25th April 2015
- Stena Drilling Tartan 10K
- ConocoPhillips 5K
- Kongsberg Maritime Secondary Schools 2.5K
- MPH Primary Schools girls and boys 1.5K
Sunday 26th April 2015
- The Apollo duathlon (5Km run/20Km mountain bike/5Km run)
- The Glacier Energy Trail Race (15 Miles)
- The Wee Trail Race (3 Miles)
Stena Drilling – ConocoPhillips Corporate Team Challenge
- The Stena Drilling - ConocoPhillips Corporate Team Challenge will be held for the third time.
- Aberdeen Sports Village were inaugural champions in 2013 but COPS and JOGGERS seized the trophy in 2014.
- The Challenge provides an opportunity for businesses/organisations to compete for a magnificent team trophy.
- Also, a special prize will be given out to one team drawn at random from all the entries. So there’s something for everyone to go for.
- Teams must enter at least four runners in the ConocoPhillips 5k and the Stena Drilling Tartan 10k, i.e, you must have at least four people entered in each race.
- The same runners can compete in both the 5k and the 10k if they so wish.
- The first four runners from each team to finish each race will count towards the Team Challenge.
- The finishing position of each of the four runners in each race will be added together to give an overall score. The team with the lowest total combined from the two races will win the Trophy.
- Teams can be all male, all female or a combination of both.
- On both days there will be an enhanced Event Village featuring a range of activities for youngsters and quality food concessions
The official RunBalmoral 2015 race charities are:-
- Alfie Milne Trust: www.alfiemilne.org.uk
- CLAN Cancer Support: www.clanhouse.org
- CLIC Sargent: www.clicsargent.org.uk
- Gastrocan: www.gastrocan.org.uk
- Macmillan Cancer Support: www.macmillan.org.uk
- Simeon Care for the Elderly: www.simeoncare.org
- The Archie Foundation: www.archiefoundation.org.uk
- VSA: www.vsa.org.uk
- Run-4-It is the RunBalmoral 2015 retail partner. www.run4it.com